Every year Cornerstone hosts a Hall of Honor banquet to induct Cornerstone athletes who succeeded in academics and in their area of sport(s). This year Cornerstone University welcomes three athletes and two Golden Eagle Club inductees. Tonight Cornerstone would like to introduce this year's 2013 Hall of Honor class:
Shannon (Burmaster) Mulder: Graduate of Cornerstone in 2005 with a degree in Business/Marketing and was a member of the Volleyball and Track and Field programs. During her three seasons as a Golden Eagle, Mulder was a strong leader on the volleyball court and dominant competitor in Track & Field. Mulder received numerous individual and team accolades while breaking several Cornerstone records.
- Individual Volleyball Honors:
- WHAC Awards: 1st Team All-Conference (2002-04), WHAC Player of the Year (2004), MVP "Best of the Best" (2004), "Best Hitter (2004)
- Volleyball Team Honors:
- MVP Offense (2002, 03, 04)
- Team Captain (2003, 04)
- Team MVP (2004)
- CU Volleyball Records:
- 1st in Career Kills – 2131 total Kills
- 2nd in Career Aces – 214 total Aces
- 4th in Career Blocks – 2078 total Blocks
- Individual T&F Honors:
- National Awards:
- 2004: Indoor All-American High Jump (5th Place)
- 2005: Indoor All-American High Jump (National Runner-up)
- 2005: Outdoor All-American High Jump (3rd Place)
- National Awards:
- CU T&F Records:
- At time of graduation, Indoor and Outdoor school record High Jump
- Now co-holds Indoor and Outdoor school record eight years later
Julie Vogelzang: Graduate of Cornerstone in 2002 with a degree in Social Work and was a member of Women's Basketball program. During her four years, she received numerous individual and team accolades while breaking several CU Women's Basketball records. Vogelzang also helped the Golden Eagles reach the NAIA Division II National Championship in her last season (2001-02).
- Individual Honors:
- National Awards: CU's first 1st Team NAIA All-American (2001-02), Honorable Mention All-American (2000-01), NAIA Division II All-Tournament 1st Team
- WHAC Awards: Runner-Up WHAC Player of the Year (2001-02), 1st Team All-WHAC (2000-01), 2nd Team All-WHAC (1999-2000)
- Team Honors:
- Team Captain (2001-02)
- Team MVP Junior & Senior Year
- Career average 13PPG
- CU Records:
- 5th in Scoring—1,667 career points
- 3rd in Rebounds – 956 career rebounds
- 3rd in Blocks – 161 career blocks
Ron Emmorey: Attended Grand Rapids Bible College from 1968-1971 while getting his Bachelor degree of Religious Education Program of Study. Emmorey was a member of the GRBC Comets' Mens' Basketball team. Emmorey helped the Comets reach a 16-9 overall record during one of his seasons, while the Comets shared the league championship with an 8-2 record. The Comets then advanced to the National Christian College Athletic Association District Tournament. Emmorey received several individual honors and broke several records during his time at GRBC.
- Individual Honors:
- All-Tournament Team
- Record Books:
- 1st in Free Throws Made in a Single Game (17) in 1970
- 14th in Career Points – 1568 career points
- Scored 47 points on 21 of 25 shooting against Grand Rapids Junior College in only the fifth game of his career.
Gene & Mary Lynn Peterson: Gene was a professor at Cornerstone for 27 years teaching in CU's Teacher Education program as well as The Learning Center. He is known for his quick wit, his dedication to his students and his love for the Lord. His wife, Mary Lynn is an avid basketball fan as well and spends a lot of her time working with Paws With A Cause. This is an organization which trains assistance dogs for people with disabilities.
"They both have been very faithful in their support of Cornerstone University and have been a huge encouragement throughout their years as Golden Eagle Club members," stated Athletic Director, Dave Grube.
Congratulations to all the inductees and Cornerstone athletics is extremely proud to announce them into the Hall of Honor tonight at 6:30 p.m.